Course Duration: Minimum two year course. Ph.D seats are filled as per the area of specialization of the faculty of the Department.
Description: Doctorate in Research.
Ph.D. in Commerce is taught at Department of Commerce, Faculty of Commerce & Business, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007.
There are two modes of admission in PhD program
- Through Entrance
- Direct Admissions without entra
(A) Ph.D. ADMISSIONS THROUGH ENTRANCE TEST
1. The entrance test would be compulsory for students who are otherwise eligible for admission to the Ph.D. Program and do not have any financial assistance, will be admitted through an entrance examination to be conducted by the respective departments or / and through an interview by the Departmental Research Committee. Students provisionally admitted to the Ph.D. Program through an entrance examination or interview will be awarded University Grants Commission fellowships for programs of doctoral research or any other fellowship that is launched by the national agencies. The number of fellowships under this category will be determined annually by the Department. Such candidates may apply for Ph.D. program only once in a year at the beginning of the academic year.
2. Candidate holding M. Phil degree from other than University of Delhi will have to appear in the entrance test as applicable to fresh candidate directly joining Ph.D. However, credit and exemption may be given for the course work done in the previous university
(B) PROCEDURE OF ADMISSION IN PH.D. (DIRECT ADMISSION WITHOUT ENTRANCE TEST)
Entrance test would be exempted for the following candidates and are eligible for direct admission:
- Students having fellowships/scholarships instituted by the University / national and international agencies under schemes approved / recognized by the University, through procedure laid down by the University, may be registered provisionally by the Departmental Research Committee and Board of Research Studies, and confirmed after completion of course work, by the respective Board of Research Studies.
- Foreign students with their national or other fellowships recognized by the University or sponsored by their employers, may be given provisional admission, followed by confirmation through due process after a stipulated period of time.
- The University / College teachers holding a permanent, temporary or ad-hod positions and having completed two years of service as teacher in a Department / Constituent Colleges of the University of Delhi.
- Candidates sponsored by their employers shall be considered only if they get study leave for a period of two years to fulfill residency requirements of the University of Delhi.
- Permanent teachers / employees who are in service in any other recognized University / college / Research Institute in India and have a minimum of three years teaching / research experience, will be considered if they get study leave for a period of two years to fulfill residency requirements of the University of Delhi.
- Candidate holding M.Phil degree as per the letter from UGC (F. No. 1-1/2002(PS) Pt file-III) dated 28 Aug 2009 and University of Delhi No.CB.II/Recruitment/2009/2269 dated 25 Nov. 2009, candidate holding M.Phil. degree from University of Delhi where in the admission has been through an entrance examination and Course work has been completed at M. Phil level, such candidates shall not be required to undertake entrance exam or course work when admitted to Ph.D. program. In case a candidate has done M. Phil from other than University of Delhi, credit and exemption may be given for the course work done in the previous university. However, such a candidate will have to appear in the entrance test as applicable to fresh candidate directly joining Ph.D.
Therefore, students having fellowship/scholarships, Foreign Students, University/College teachers having minimum 2 years experience in the University of Delhi, candidates sponsored by their employers, permanent teachers/employees having minimum 3 years of experience in recognized college/University/research institution and candidate holding M. Phil. degree from University of Delhi, need not appear in the entrance exam and submit the synopsis along with the form as per above mentioned dates.
Miscellaneous Info: For direct admission applications are invited twice in a year for the admission to the Ph.D. course in the Department of Commerce according to the following schedule: 1. Applications are invited in the month of June and December each year, for which personal interview is conducted in the month of February and September respectively.
Applicants who will be required to do the course work may apply for Ph.D. program only once in a year at the beginning of the academic year.
Synopsis submission & Personal Interview: The selection will depend upon the performance in interview and the quality of synopsis.
PROCEDURE OF ADMISSION IN PH.D. THROUGH ENTRANCE TEST
Candidates seeking admission in Ph.D. are required to give the entrance and have to follow the procedure mentioned below:
1. Fill the Common Entrance Test form available in the Department during June and July each year.
2. Appear in Common Entrance.
3. Those selected on the basis of merit of entrance are advised to prepare Synopsis, to be presented in D.R.C. and would submit their synopsis along with Ph.D. form.
4. The Ph. D form is to be filled separately and to be submitted through proper channel (if employed, attested from the Principal or Head of the institution).
5. The candidates shall appear in DRC subject to the report of two blind reviews of the synopsis.
6. Synopsis passed in the D.R.C. will be forwarded to B.R.S. for further approval.
PROCEDURE OF ADMISSION IN PH.D. (WITHOUT ENTRANCE TEST)
Candidates seeking admission in Ph.D. (Without entrance test) are required to follow the procedure mentioned below:
1. Fill the form for Ph.D. admission available in the Department.
2. Those candidate who are permanent / temporary/ Ad -hoc teachers / employees will have to submitted through proper channel (attested from the Principal or Head of the institution)
3. The candidates shall appear in DRC subject to the report of two blind reviews of the synopsis.
4. Synopsis passed in the D.R.C. will be forwarded to B.R.S. for further approval.
More Information www.du.ac.in