Course Duration: Minimum two year course. Ph.D. seats are filled as per the availability of seats under each faculty member.
Description: Doctorate in Research.
Ph.D. in Commerce is offered at Department of Commerce, Faculty of Commerce & Business, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007.
Admission for Ph.D. in Commerce
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR Ph.D.:
1.Candidate must have secured minimum 55% marks in M.Com./M.Phil/MBA/ MIB/MHROD/MFC/MBA(IB)/MBA(HRD), from a recognized University with 5% relaxation for OBC/SC/ST and Persons with Disability.
No Candidate shall be eligible to register for the Ph.D. programme if he/she is already registered for any full time programme of study in any University/Institution.
- Foreign Students with their national or other fellowships recognized by the University or sponsored by their employers, may be given provisional admission, followed by confirmation through due process after a stipulated period of time. Foreign nationals must provide evidence of language competence suited to the Department they wish to join. Further, Foreign students must show proof of financial support for the duration of the Ph.D. enrolment.
- Faculty members who have completed two years of service in a Department / Constituent Colleges of the University of Delhi.
- Candidates with Masters or equivalent degree and shortlisted in a written entrance exam conducted by the Department.
- Candidates who have cleared a national level examination like CSIR/UGC-NET-JRF, DBT-JRF, ICMR-JRF, DST-INSPIRE or equivalent valid fellowship may appear for interview without appearing in the departmental entrance test. Candidates who have appeared in the above examinations but await results may also apply. However, they shall be called for the interview only upon providing a valid documentary evidence of having qualified for the fellowship. Candidates who have already initiated their fellowships in some other institution and are interested to have the fellowship transferred to the University of Delhi may also apply, provided the period of available fellowship is at least 4 years.
- The candidates who have been awarded lectureship in the CSIR/UGC-NET (or equivalent examination) may also directly appear for interview.
- Candidates having a Masters degree with at least two-year research experience in a reputed institution may apply for direct admission without entrance test provided the candidate has national level fellowship.
Note: No student registered for the Ph.D. programme shall be permitted to undertake any fulltime course during the pendency of the programme.
Candidates exempted from Written Entrance Test for PhD Programme
- Candidates who have cleared a national level examination like CSIR/UGC-NET-JRF, DBT-JRF, ICMR-JRF, DST-INSPIRE or equivalent valid fellowship may appear for interview without appearing in the departmental entrance test. Candidates who have appeared in the above examinations but await results may also apply for direct admission without entrance test.
- Candidates who have obtained M.Phil. degree or candidates having a Master’s degree with at least two-year research experience in a reputed institution may appear for direct admission without entrance test, if the candidate has national level fellowship. For obtaining Non-NET fellowships, such candidates have to appear in entrance examination.
- Candidates holding fellowships/research positions in research projects (subject to selection by duly constituted committee as per the University norms for research projects) may applyfor direct admission without entrance test.
- Scientists/professionals workingat defense and space institutions/organizations/R&D institutes of the Government of India/State Government and with whom the University has signed a Memorandum of Understanding may directly applyfor direct admission without entrance test.
- Faculty members who are in service in the University of Delhi and who have a minimum of two years’ teaching/research experience may apply for direct admission without entrance test.
There are two modes of admission in Ph.D. programme
(A) Through WrittenEntrance test
(B) Direct admissions without entrance test
1. The Written entrance test would be compulsory for students who are otherwise eligible for admission to the Ph.D. Program except for the candidates exempted from written entrance test.The entrance test will be conducted once in a year and the eligibility of shortlisted candidates shall remain valid till the next entrance test is held or one year, whichever is earlier.
2. Based on the performance in the written test, the shortlisted candidates and those candidates who are eligible for direct admission shall fill up application form along with seven copies of the research proposal
3 Personal interviews:Research proposal submitted by shortlisted candidates shall be blindly evaluated. Based on result of evaluation, candidates shall be called forpersonal interview in Department of Commerce.
PROCEDURE OF ADMISSION IN PH.D. THROUGH ENTRANCE TEST
Candidates seeking admission in Ph.D. through the entrance test are required to follow the procedure mentioned below:
1. Fill the Written Entrance form available in the Department during March-April each year.
2. Appear in Written Entrance Exam.
3. Those selected on the basis of merit of entrance test are required to prepare research proposal and submit seven copies of research proposal along with Ph.D. form.
4. The Ph. D form is to be filled separately and to be submitted through proper channel (if employed, attested from the Principal or Head of the institution/employer).
5. Based on outcome of research proposal evaluation, shortlisted candidates shall appear for personal interview in the Departmental Research Committee (DRC).
6. Selected candidates shall be called for admission after approval from Board of Research Studies.
PROCEDURE OF ADMISSION IN PH.D. (WITHOUT ENTRANCE TEST)
Candidates seeking admission in Ph.D. (Without entrance test) are required to follow the procedure mentioned below:
1. Fill the form for Ph.D. admission available in the Department as per the notified schedule.
2. Those candidate who are permanent / temporary/ Ad -hoc teachers / employees have to submit application through proper channel (attested from the Principal or Head of the institution/employer).
3. Based on outcome of research proposal evaluation, shortlisted candidates shall appear for personal interview in Departmental Research Committee (DRC).
4. Selected candidates shall be called for admission after approval from Board of Research Studies.
Wherever applicable employed students must obtain study leave for a period of two years to fulfill the residency requirement of the University.
More Information www.du.ac.in